Tuesday 29 January 2013

Hark! Who goes there?

a small tunnel between the feet of the owl statue
For anyone who was watching the cam late last afternoon, you probably saw me taking pictures and digging around.

You see, after filling the feeder, I came inside and turned on the cam to see a little critter wandering around by the owl statue. When I looked closer, I saw that it was a Star Nosed Mole! 

The mole, hiding in the statue!
The little fellow had dug a tunnel underneath the owl statue, and was living inside of it (there's a hole in the bottom of the statue, which is hollow). I briefly lifted the statue to take a quick photo of him, and then quickly put it back in place, as to not further disturb the little guy!

Strangely enough, moles do not eat seeds. They are insectivores! It must be hard to find food during the winter when the ground is so frozen!

I hope he sticks around!

4 comments:

  1. As cute as moles are they are very destructive to ones lawn. We get them every winter and they make trails all over the lawn right under the grass. They do like peanut butter. We try to trap them and move them to the nature center.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by Linda! I read a lot on how destructive these little fellows can be! Luckily, we live in the woods and our yard is nothing that we take pride in... we have very rocky soil and we're happy to have grass at all.. haha! This little fellow will not cause any damage that we're worried about!

    I didn't know that they like peanutbutter! Maybe I'll leave some out for him :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great web site. Good sparkling user interface and very informative blogs. I will be coming back in a bit, thanks for the great article. I have found it enormously useful..
    unblockedgames
    happy wheels
    super mario bros
    pacman
    agario

    ReplyDelete